Friday, November 8, 2013

Because It's Friday & I'm Making Cinnamon Scones

Fridays are my favorite. I'm just now appreciating the "TGIF" expression. Most Fridays I am able to indulge in a few extra hours of sleep, enjoy a long relaxing breakfast and some fresh air with my dog. Friday mornings are exceptionally perfect because the rest of the world is still working and counting down the hours until the weekend, while mine has already begun. This morning I decided I would bake some scones. Why not? It's Friday. 

If you haven't tried Starbucks Cinnamon scones, well you no longer have to. 
Actually, go try one. And then make this recipe and grow two inches taller because these are just as good, if not better. 

It's quite possible you're reading this and you have no idea what a scone is-and I feel bad for you. 

I found this recipe on a blog called ButterCreamFanatic.com after searching for Starbucks own secret scone recipe. I didn't have greek yogurt or cream of tarter, so I improvised and changed it up a bit. Honestly, I didn't even know what cream of tarter was. (I'll just wait until my mother reads this and pulls it out of the cupboard for me). I also decided on a cinnamon glaze instead of vanilla. 


The recipe was so much easier than I had imagined. I feel as if the word "scone" itself screams for experienced bakers only! But I tried, and according to my taste buds, succeeded. 

For the scones:
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour + more for cutting board
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 cup cold unsalted butter, cut into 1/2" cubes
1/2 cup plain yogurt
1 egg
1/2 cup cinnamon chips

For the glaze: 
1/2 cup confectioner's sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 1/2 teaspoons milk

Preheat the oven to 350F. Cover a cookie sheet with nonstick spray, parchment paper or nonstick pad.

In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients (flours, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt cinnamon, and chips).


Cut in cubes of butter, using a pastry cutter or fork until the butter is pea-sized.

In a separate bowl, whisk together egg and yogurt. Add to the dry mixture and mix until just combined.


Turn dough out onto floured cutting board. Knead a few times to bring the dough together, and shape into a ball. Gently press down to make the dough into a disc, approximately 8-9" in diameter. Use a sharp knife to cut (like a pizza) into eight triangles.
I made the mistake of making only 6 scones. As you can see, my scones were quite plump. Not necessarily a bad thing, but  I should have kneaded the dough a bit more. 




Transfer scones to the prepared baking sheet, making sure to space about 2" apart. Bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from the oven and transfer to a wire rack to cool.

While the scones are cooling, make the glaze by whisking all ingredients together until smooth. Drizzle over completely-cooled scones just before serving and allow the glaze to dry slightly before serving.

Scones are a drier pastry so enjoy them with coffee or tea. 

Happy Friday! 




No comments:

Post a Comment