Sunday, April 27, 2014

Priorities Are Funny Little Things



Sorry I haven't blogged in forever. I've just been sooooooo busy.

That's annoying right? Reading about how busy I've been, allowing it to be my excuse as to why I've neglected something else.  We live in a society where the classic response to the question, "how are you?" Is  "great, just sooooooo busy". This simplified and less-than-interesting answer shows others how dedicated we are. It shows others how important we 
(think) we are. It shows others that we matter. And that's the thing that gets me... No one is "too" busy in this world because It's all about priorities.

Priorities are funny little things.. Sometimes we wish others' aligned with ours a little better. And sometimes we think our priorities are more important than others'. But in the end, everyone's priorities are different and no matter how hard you try to rearrange someone else's life, they'll put you where they want you to be- and there's nothing you can do about it.

I often find myself browsing through Pinterest during times when I can't sort through my priorities. It may be quite possible that Pinterest has become a priority. Nevertheless, it's like therapy. My Words To Live By board is proof of that. Amongst the pins, I found a fascinating article reminding us that time is a choice...

Instead of saying "I don't have time" try saying "it's not a priority," and see how that feels. Often, that's a perfectly adequate explanation. I have time to iron my sheets, I just don't want to. But other things are harder. Try it: "I'm not going to edit your résumé, sweetie, because it's not a priority." "I don't go to the doctor because my health is not a priority." If these phrases don't sit well, that's the point. Changing our language reminds us that time is a choice. If we don't like how we're spending an hour, we can choose differently.

I'm presently working on getting my priorities in line. Changes are happening and my 
priorities must follow suit.

Are you really as busy as you think you are? How many priorities should you have? I think if you ask yourself, "Will this be important to me ten years from now?" you will find an answer.

No comments:

Post a Comment